What Are Do’s And Don’ts Of Moving?admin
Whether you’re moving from one street to the other or clear across the country, the key to a stress-free move is preparing and planning in advance.
1. Do get a quote early. So its official – you have to move. First thing is to get in touch with reputable moving companies to get quotes.
Get quotes well in advance before moving. This will give you enough time to plan and work out a schedule.
Don’t leave getting a quote to the last moment. The later you leave it, the higher the costs will be.
2. Do start packing your goods early. The last thing you want to do is rush through the packing with everything going on around you. Take your time and pack your goods properly.
3. Don’t try move heavy items yourself. There have been many instances where clients have been involved in serious accidents.
When it comes to moving heavy items, simply leave it to the professionals.
4. Do use plastic wrap to cover your bedding and couches to avoid soiling.
5. Don’t use plastic on wooden furniture, especially for long distance, as it will cause bleeding and damage the wood.
6. Do use durable, double wall corrugated board cartons to box your goods, accessories and furnishings.
Don’t buy or use single wall cardboard boxes as they tend to fall apart during the move and make it difficult for the movers to carry.
7. Do ensure that all the plumbing and plugs to washing machines, fridges and other household appliances are disconnected before the movers come.
8. Don’t leave valuables lying around.
9. Do ensure that you have snacks and cold drink or water available throughout the move.
10. Don’t pack everything away. Make sure you have essentials like an emergency kit, phone chargers and cleaning materials available at hand. You never know when a spill or emergency may arise, so pack these in last.
11. Do ensure that you take out full comprehensive insurance with your insurance company or through the movers.
12. Don’t forget anything behind. Make sure you do a thorough walk-through to ensure that everything has been loaded onto the truck.
13. Do make sure that if you’re moving to a complex or estate that they allow trucks in. Most complexes and estates only allow a maximum of 3 tons inside.
If this is the case, notify the movers to send a shuttle vehicle.
14. Do relax and try not to stress. This may be difficult but try to keep calm during your move.
Avoid getting worked up over small issues you have no control over.
Remember it’s not the destination that’s important, it’s the journey.